This craft recreates the bursts of cascading color we see with fireworks displays by using a few basic ingredients you likely already have in your cabinets.
Have fun & remember to look for the magic.
What you will need:
- Glass jar
- Food coloring in assorted colors
- Vegetable oil
- Small bowl
- Fill the jar three-quarters full with warm water.
- In a separate bowl, add three to four tablespoons of oil. Add several drops of food coloring in various colors to the bowl of oil. Use a fork to mix the oil and food coloring together until small beads of color form.
- Slowly pour the oil mixture into the jar of water.
- Make sure the kids are watching what happens next. As the liquids combine, the food coloring will slowly sink out of the oil and into the water. When this happens, it will expand and begin to mix with the other colors, creating a cascading "fireworks" effect.